Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of attending the BCAMA Vision Conference this year and it was filled with innovative ideas, creative strategy and good marketing awesomeness.
Here’s a rundown of some of the big ideas:
Topic: What’s in Store?
Speaker: Doug Stephens, Retail & Consumer Futurist
“Retail is turning “Phyg-ital” a mix of physical and digital experiences.”
“The store is the media and the media is the store.”
“Stores will become about making things – creating that experience.”
Extras: Check out Doug’s book: The Retail Revival: Reimagining Business for the New Age of Consumerism
Topic: The Creative Spark
Speaker: Lyn Heward, Director of Creation at Cirque Du Soleil
“Risk taking can be defined as the balance between success and failure”.
“Special effects live inside human beings, not computers.”
“Creativity is the solution to corporate stagnation.”
Extras: Check out Lyn Heward’s Book The Spark – Igniting the Creative Fire that Lives within Us All
Panel: Purple Cow Campaigns
- Mike Rodenburgh, VP at IPSOS ASI
- Tim Hassed, Director Online Customer Experience, TELUS
- Adrian Scott, President, Go2 Productions
- Playland’s “Lost Camera Phenomenon” campaign was the perfect mix of digital and experiential marketing.
- Oreo’s rainbow cookie campaign to support the LGBT community failed because they missed out on an opportunity to set themselves apart from other corporate brands.
- “Be different, put the customer first & create a culture that innovates”
Topic: Trust Me, I’m Lying
Speaker: Ryan Holiday, Director of Marketing at American Apparel
- Feed the media monster and you’ll get results
- Small blogs feed big blogs which in turn feed large media outlets
- “Emotion = story sharing. Risk tolerance is relative to the company. Do something that is worth talking about”
Extras: Check out Ryan’s book Trust Me, I’m Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator
For more awesome tips and a full event recap, check out the BCAMA blog. Also search the twitter hashtag #bcamavision for all the great conversations and ideas shared throughout the day.